Kern River Gas Transmission Company’s Mountain Pass lateral was built to provide 24,270 dekatherms per day of natural gas transmission capacity to Molycorp Minerals, LLC’s Mountain Pass rare earth mine for use in power generation and steam production.
The Mountain Pass Lateral Project included construction of an approximately 8.6-mile, 8-inch-diameter pipeline extending from Kern River’s mainline. The project also included construction of a new tap assembly, pig launcher, pig receiver and meter station. Kern River made every effort to minimize the impact on the environment and landowners along the existing rights of way and worked closely with permitting agencies to ensure the project met regulatory requirements.
- December 2010 - Submitted Section 7(c) application to the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission
- January 2012 - Received FERC certificate
- February 2012 - Received FERC Notice to Proceed
- February 2012 - Began construction
- June 2012 - Placed facilities into service